In Arid Africa we discover how the continent is being ripped apart by continental drift, the African Great Lakes and the difference between Arid and Semi-Arid. We look at how famine is a daily threat of those who live on the Sahel and we investigate the shock westerners might feel at African culture, rites of passage and marriage. Finally we take a look at urbanization and explore how its affects society at large.
Textbook topics include:
- The Great Rift Valley
- The African Great Lakes
- Paleontological Discoveries
- Mountains and Plateaus
- Arid Climate
- The Sahara Desert
- The Suez Canal
- The Sahel and the Semi-Arid
- Culture Shock
- African Culture
- Family in Africa
- Rights of Passage
- Water Supply & Sanitation
- Waste & Pollution
- Informal Economy
- Crime & Poverty
We recommend: GeoToys — GeoPuzzle Africa and The Middle East
The portfolio will ask learners to consider, research and discuss various questions relating to the topics in the textbooks through:
- Research tasks
- Practice maps
- News articles
- Assignment to report on and presentation a topic of the learners' choice for which we have included an assessment matrix.
*Bonus: Reading list of at least 50 novels related to this region.
- One 64 page full colour booklet
- One 50 page portfolio
- 1x 11x17" Topographic Map of Africa
- 1x 11x17" Biomes of the World
- 1x 11x17" Arid Africa People Poster
- 1x 11x17" Arid Africa Animal Posters
Shipping within Canada is free.
Provincial taxes will be added in the cart.